Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Art with Crayons!

This was one of my first Pinterest projects, just haven't posted until now! I did my own take on using crayons through a hot glue gun. First I painted the entire thing black. (I was re-using a canvas). This is a great project for reusing canvases you might have tried to glue something to or tried something and it didn't work out. Next I used painters tape to make the outline of a heart but left one side a little open and scraggly. Then I peeled the paper off the crayons (works best if you use an Exact-O knife and just slit down one side. Come off super easy and you don't get crayon under your nails! Then I just went to town! Basically I liked the spotting effect but then found if it spurted out a lot of melted crayon it looked cool to tilt the canvas and make it run down. At the end, I removed the tape and used black crayon to fill in where that was. Here is the finished piece:


Some more tips:
*The glue gun may get VERY hot doing this project. Mine actually blew my outlet! Was it worth it? YES! It could be the older apartment I live in, as I've never had problems using a glue gun on projects before, but you might want to switch outlets halfway through or unplug it and give it some time to cool off.
*Use a pen to push crayons through if you need to, but also let them sit and warm up enough to melt while you are crafting this.
*Some posts on Pinterest say you can't use your glue gun again after this project. You definitely can - it DOES NOT ruin it! I would suggest inserting a glue stick after you are done to "clean it out" and then when it's not hot just scrape off the dried crayon.

No comments:

Post a Comment